Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Bad Coffee Made Good by Excess?


So I was getting ready to go to the morning meeting in the "Think Tank" when I decided to cap off my java on the way. It's a generally known rule that coffee makes the meetings go faster!

I headed to the kitchen and started to set up the slop in industrial grade coffee machine we have. Now, it's no secret that I hate our company coffee. We all do. It's bitter and unkind :) Makes my teeth hurt after the first cup, BUT I'm a caffeine addict so I will drink it even if I don't enjoy it.

Anyway, I'm setting up the new batch of coffee to brew and before I hit the "go" button (well, it's green and it starts the brewing process - it doesn't say "go" but I always think of it as the "go" button) a co-worker halts my progress with urgency and asks me to Wait! She said we needed to make this pot "taste better" (well, duh! But how the hell are we going to do that???).

She ran to her desk and brought back a half packet of the same coffee grinds we usually use to make the really bad brew. She said - "If we make it stronger it will taste a lot better!"

So I said - Sure, let's give it a shot. Not really believing in the process.

Funny thing. It was so strong I couldn't even tell if it was good or bad. I was just so overpowering that the taste just faded into some bigger sensory abyss. So my immediate reaction was - Huh?  Maybe it *is* better because technically it's so strong, you can't tell if it's bad. 

But does that really make it NOT bad????

The question I'm left to ponder for the rest of my work shift is this:

Does more make worse better?

No comments:

Post a Comment